FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

The material in this question and answer series is for your information only. It is not legal advice and is not designed to be used in place of legal advice. You should consult your own attorney for legal advice. The St. Joseph Legal Department provides this series to provide a general summary of procedures concerning violations of city ordinances in the City of St. Joseph, Missouri. It is issued to inform generally, not to advise of specific rights. As with any general information, the answers given here may not specifically apply to you.
What can I do about a barking dog?

Upon receiving a barking dog complaint, a letter is sent to the dog owner’s residence. The owner is given notice of the complaint and advised that if the problem isn’t resolved to the complainant’s satisfaction that they may be issued a summons to appear in Municipal Court. If the problem isn’t resolved and the complainant is willing to document the date and times the dog is barking [for approximately 7 days] and also willing to testify in court, the owner may be issued a summons.

Show All Answers

1. What qualifies as an emergency for calls that are after hours?
2. What are your adoption fees?
3. What are the redemption fees?
4. What do I do if I've lost my pet?
5. What do I do if I've found an animal?
6. What are the license requirements for a pet?
7. Is there a ban on pit bulls or other breeds?
8. Is there a leash law?
9. What can I do about a barking dog?
10. My neighbor doesn't pick up his pet's waste and now it stinks, what can I do?
11. How do you handle animal bites?
12. Is there a handling fee for unwanted animals?
13. Is there a handling fee for stray animals?
14. When do I need a breeders or litter permit?
15. Is it a crime to abandon an unwanted animal?