FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

The material in this question and answer series is for your information only. It is not legal advice and is not designed to be used in place of legal advice. You should consult your own attorney for legal advice. The St. Joseph Legal Department provides this series to provide a general summary of procedures concerning violations of city ordinances in the City of St. Joseph, Missouri. It is issued to inform generally, not to advise of specific rights. As with any general information, the answers given here may not specifically apply to you.
Who can I talk to about a ticket?
The City Prosecutor prosecutes violations of City ordinances, which include most traffic offenses charged in the City of St. Joseph (speeding, accidents, driving while revoked, and first offense DWI). It may also include minor misdemeanor crimes such as trespassing, property destruction, disturbing the peace, and assaults not involving serious injury.

*NOTE: The Buchanan County Prosecutor has a separate office and prosecutes more serious offenses charged under State law, which include violent crimes, felonies, most drug-related offenses, serious assaults, and repeat DWI offenses. The Buchanan County Prosecuting Attorney's Office also prosecutes traffic and speeding tickets and other violations outside City limits. All bad check charges are handled by the County Prosecuting Attorney's Office.

Show All Answers

1. Does the city attorney's office provide legal advice to citizens?
2. What does the City Prosecutor do?
3. Will it cost me extra to talk to the City Prosecutor?
4. When the Police Department indicates that it will be referring the case to the City Prosecutor, what steps do I need to take to follow up on the problem and the possibility of charges being filed?
5. What if I hire an attorney to represent me?
6. Who can I talk to about a ticket?
7. Why can't I talk to the City Prosecutor about my ticket over the phone?