FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

The material in this question and answer series is for your information only. It is not legal advice and is not designed to be used in place of legal advice. You should consult your own attorney for legal advice. The St. Joseph Legal Department provides this series to provide a general summary of procedures concerning violations of city ordinances in the City of St. Joseph, Missouri. It is issued to inform generally, not to advise of specific rights. As with any general information, the answers given here may not specifically apply to you.
What about subcontractors?
The general contractor will be responsible for obtaining only his permit for the construction project. He cannot obtain the electrical, mechanical, plumbing and right of way permits. The General Contractor has the ultimate responsibility of the entire job and he is the one that knows every aspect of that job. Therefore, he will need to be prepared to have the required information for the electrical, plumbing, mechanical, building, right of way permits and a list of his subcontractors. A Master Electrician and Plumber, licensed by the City of St. Joseph, must perform all electrical and plumbing work. Upon request the Building Development Department can provide a list of licensed electrical and plumbing contractors.

All subcontractors must have a current Occupational License with the City of St. Joseph.

Show All Answers

1. What building codes have been adopted by the City of St. Joseph?
2. What construction projects need building permits?
3. Why a building permit?
4. What are plan requirements?
5. What's a footing and foundation permit?
6. Do I need an occupational license?
7. What about subcontractors?
8. How are driveways and sidewalks handled?