Important Information for Demo Contractors
General Bid Specifications
The following must be adhered to when completing demolitions contracted with the City of St. Joseph.
Asbestos and material containing asbestos identified by the contractor must be removed and disposed of in accordance with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements and specifications. All contractors are required by law and the City of St. Joseph to notify EPA/DNR/OSHA/DOT as per specifications prior to start of any demolition. The City of St. Joseph also requires a copy of the National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) notification of demolition and renovation form submitted to the DNR, prior to start of any demolition designated as a regulated project.
*Request for payment must include contractor's invoice, all asbestos and/or solid waste disposal landfill receipts (denoting specific material) from a DNR approved landfill.
- Contractor is required to contact all Utility companies (Gas, Water, Electricity etc.) for service abandonment.
- Contractor is required to call 1-800-Dig Rite (1-800-344-7483) before beginning demolition.
- Contractor is required to call 271-5342 during business hours for a sewer capping inspection, before backfilling basement and give inspector one hour prior notice. Sewers will be capped with rubber type cap and clamp.
- Contractor is required to call 271-5342 during business hours for grading inspection, prior to applying grass seeds and straw.
- Contractor is required to call 271-5342 during business hours for final inspection, prior to project completion date.
- Contractor is required to call 271-4895 within 24 hours if a work day is lost due to adverse weather conditions.
- Basement areas must be cleaned of all debris before being backfilled and covered with a minimum of 18 inches of dirt. Concrete/block/brick can be used for initial fill but should not exceed 20 percent of the total backfill and should be thoroughly compacted. The basement floor slab must be cracked to allow water drainage.
- Additional fill dirt may be necessary to meet the final grading requirements of the site.
- Final grade of property must be free of debris and ruts, consistent with the topography of abutting properties and right-of-ways.
- Do not remove or damage right-of-way sidewalk or curb. Contractor is responsible for replacing sidewalks or curbs in sections if damaged during demolition.
- Anticipate finding a cistern and/or septic tank. When located they must be collapsed, partially filled with sand and covered with 18 inches of dirt.
- Contractor is required to ensure the erosion control measures are in place and functional at the completion of demolition. The contractor is also required to monitor the site until the disturbed area is properly stabilized by established vegetation.
- Contractor is required to obtain Demolition, Land Disturbance and Hauling permits by paying permit fees.
- An Erosion control plan is a requirement of a Land Disturbance permit and must be approved by the Chief Building Official before beginning the demolition project.
- Contractor shall have 30 calendar days to meet all notification requirements, complete demolition and submit all landfill disposal receipts after notification of start date.
- If a contractor is awarded multiple demolition projects with the same project completion dates; "upon written request", the contractor may receive an additional 7 days beyond the completion original date.
- Site stabilization - Conventional grass seeding covered by straw on flat areas and sod or staked down material for steep banks.
- Erosion control - Silt fences or straw bales placed at the lowest points of drainage to prevent silt from crossing property lines.
- Contact Missouri Gas Co. at 676-6242, 676-6247 or 676-6252.
- Contact Missouri American Water at 233-8844 or 866-430-0820.
- Contact KCP&L (electricity) at 800-471-5275
- St. Joseph Cablevision at 279-1234
- AT&T Missouri at 866-212-5222
- Contact neighboring property owners prior to crossing their property to access a demolition site.
If you have questions please contact Mike Holdren, Dangerous Building Inspector at 271-4633.