City Clerk's Office
The position of City Clerk is provided for in the Charter of the City of St. Joseph.
The City Clerk serves at the pleasure of the City Council and maintains the official records for the City, including minutes, ordinances, resolutions, contracts and other vital documents.
The duties of the City Clerk also include:
- Attend all official meetings
of the City Council.
- Attest all signatures of the officers
of the city when necessary.
- Certify as to the office held by
- Affix the seal of the City to all
documents where required by law.
- Prepare certificates of appointments
and affix the Seal of the City thereto.
- Publish all ordinances
and resolutions in a manner prescribed by law.
- Prohibit the original records and
documents in his/her custody to be removed from his/her safekeeping,
except when ordered to do so from a court of competent jurisdiction.
- Issue the call for special meetings
upon the written request of five members of the Council.
- Conduct elections in the manner prescribed
by Article X of the Charter.
- Conduct initiative and referendum
proceedings in the manner prescribed by Article XI of the Charter.
- Conduct recall proceedings in the
manner prescribed by Article XII of the Charter.
- Receive remonstrances against special
assessment improvements and transmit a true copy thereof to the
City Council and the city manager.
- Furnish one true and complete copy
of any record or document in his/her custody when requested to do
so. Cost of such copies shall be established from time to time by
the city manager, except that no cost shall be charged for copies
furnished to any City department, board or commission established
by the Charter or that may be established from time to time by the
- Appoint such deputies and assistants,
subject to budget authorization, as is necessary and required for
the performance of duties and responsibilities of the City Clerk's
office and who shall be subject to the supervision and control of
the city clerk and shall be in the classified service.
- Prepares agendas
and minutes for City Council meetings (including work sessions
and committee meetings).
- Provides clerical support for the
- Posts notice of public meetings pursuant
to Missouri law.
- Maintains official records and documents
for the City.
- Processes board and commission member
- Maintains the Code
- Prepares ballots and legal notices
for City elections and referendums.
- Perform such other duties that may
be required by law, by the Charter or by the City Council.